I first discovered Palo Santo during my Ayahuasca ceremony. I was never really a believer of clearing energy or smudging. I thought it was nonsense to be honest. How can something do that? Looking back I feel as if I was ignorant to the ethereal world and now I know there’s a lot more to this then science can prove or that the eyes can see.
Before the ceremony, one of the facilitators lit a stick and started smudging the area. It felt as though the whole room changed, it seemed lighter, more positive and it smelt good. I literally fell in love with it. As soon as I came home I bought myself a box and have been using it ever since as part of one of my daily ceremonies.
What is it?
It is a tree that grows on the coast of South America related to Frankincense and Myrrh. In Spanish, the name translates to holy wood. It has been used for centuries in prayer, ceremonies and for healing. The scent of it can be described as a mixture of pine, mint and lemon. The sticks are harvested from dead trees or fallen branches and left to dry for a minimum of three years where the healing properties are maximised as the sap crystallises.
How to use it?
- Light the stick
- Let the stick catch fire and then allow it to burn for up to 1 minute before gently blowing it out leaving the embers alight blowing on it when needed to keep the smoke going.
- You can use a circular motion clockwise at a low level first as smoke rises to bless anything you wish like yourself, the people around you, your workspace, bathroom, car etc.
- After that put it into a fireproof container at a downward angle so it gets enough air to burn. I like to use an abalone shell. It will eventually go out on its own but it won’t burn out completely like traditional incense so you can light it many many times. One stick can last you a long time which is an added bonus so no need to restock every day.
The best times are in the morning in preparation for the day or before bed is my favourite as all the residual negative energy you might have collected throughout the day will be purified.
Benefits / Uses
1. The smoke cleanses your crystals ridding them of any unwanted energy.
2. It treats a wide variety of physical ailments including colds, flu, anxiety, depression, asthma, bronchitis, headaches and emotional trauma.
3. Palo Santo cleanses all the negative energy and unlike sage which cleanses ALL the energy positive or negative. Palo Santo brings in the positive. Another reason why it’s my favourite form of incense.
4. It wards off and protects you from any negative residual energies that might have entered your aura.
5. It welcomes creativity, good fortune and love into your space.
6. It raises your vibration and helps bring you a deeper connection with the divine and the earth. (Great for meditation)
7. Antibacterial so will freshen up your home.
8. Third eye activation. Smudging it around your third eye will support access to your inner wisdom and intuition.
9. Aromatherapy. With all the effects it has it’s great when used in combination with massage work.
10. Bonus – It’s also a bug repellent so if you’re stuck with a lot of mosquitos or other insects use it.
Where to get it?
Your local crystal or spiritual store should definitely have some Palo Santo in stock. I have bought from Native Spirit through Amazon. Click Here.