How much energy you have impacts your life in a massive way with your relationships, your work, to the emotions you feel on a daily basis. Energy is literally the basis of existence. An abundance of this is the definition of health.
People underestimate its importance. In the United States alone, two-thirds of the population are overweight, 25 million people suffer from diabetes, and half of the population are on some type of prescription drug for health problems.
The solution is a change of philosophy and consistently nurturing your body.
I present the 12 Master principles to this taught by Tony Robbins. 8 gifts you want to give yourself and the 4 poisons you want to dramatically reduce or eliminate. If you take these actions it will completely change your life.
GIFT 1:THE POWER OF VITAL BREATHING AND LYMPHASIZING
The body is largely composed of the element oxygen. This is why the optimal oxygenation of your cells through proper nutrition, fluid intake, exercise and stress management is crucial in order to maintain optimal energy and health.
Most people breath shallow because of the constant stress that they are living from or they have just become habituated to it. You see babies breath from their belly which is our natural state.
So we must learn how to breath correctly and practice it because it is just that important.
Every day, take 10 Breaths from the belly at least 3 times a day in the ratio: 1-4-2 for example inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 16 seconds, then exhale for 4 seconds).
Your lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs that cleanses and nourishes the body. But it doesn’t have a circulatory pump of its own, so it depends upon physical exercise and movement.
Exercises that involves opposing gravity does the most for your lymphatic system. That’s why daily rebounding, or bouncing, preferably on a “rebounder,” will help provide the most benefits in cleansing your cells.
Rebounding has innumerable benefits, which include providing the stimulus for a free-flowing lymphatic drainage system, which helps rid your body of toxins, cancer cells, wastes, trapped protein, bacteria, viruses and other waste the cells cast off.
GIFT 2: THE POWER OF LIVING WATER AND LIVE FOODS
Your brain is 90% water and your body is about 70%, the majority of every cell in your body is composed of water and critical bodily functions like digestion cannot occur without it. Therefore, you need water to function properly.
Every day, drink least 2 litres of water daily. And strive for at least 70% of your diet to consist of water-rich foods like vegetables and fruits. This will allow your body to cleanse itself. Imagine the average American diet only contains 15% water-rich foods.
Check this link for more on the importance of drinking water.
GIFT 3: THE POWER OF ESSENTIAL OIL
The right fats are very important to our diets and overall health. We’re always hearing in the media about choosing low-fat foods and how fat is generally harmful so this can confuse a lot of people.
Essential fatty acids like Omega 3 and Omega 6 are healthy and every cell in your body requires them to function, particularly your brain, which is made up of 60% fat.
To supplement your diet with the essential fatty acids, try the following options:
• Consume foods that contain unprocessed fats in their natural state: avocado, nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, oils such as flaxseed, olive oil and fish oil
• LLS Superba Krill Oil: 500 mg per day
• Udo’s Choice Oil Blend: 1 tablespoon per 50 lbs of body weight per day
GIFT 4: THE POWER OF ALKALINITY — GO GREEN!
Making sure you have the right balance of acid and alkaline foods is very important to maintaining your health and vitality. In fact, too much acidity in the body’s tissues is the cause of many types of health changes ranging from lethargy and fatigue, to obesity, and ultimately much bigger health challenges and disease.
Dr Sebi a prominent pathologist, herbalist, biochemist and naturalist taught that mucus is the precursor of all disease and the body must be regularly cleansed of it which means that one of your highest priorities is to make sure that the alkalinity throughout your body remains at a level supporting cellular life. To help promote this follow these rules :
• Consume 70-80% foods that are alkali-forming and life-giving (green vegetables, almonds, avocados, lemons, limes, etc.)
• Avoid consuming too many acid-forming foods that are devoid of life like animal meats, dairy products, refined white foods, sugars, caffeine, etc.
• Supplement your diet with quality greens powder and green juices.
• Test your pH
• Add fresh lemon and Himalayan salt to your water every day.
GIFT 5: THE POWER OF AEROBIC ENERGY
Having a great physique is not always synonymous with being healthy. There are many bodybuilders that look the part but inside it’s a different story. I would say both are goals you should have.
The term “aerobic” means, literally, “with oxygen” and refers to moderate exercise sustained over a period of time. Your aerobic system gives you your endurance, and it encompasses the heart, lungs, blood vessels and aerobic muscles. If you condition your metabolism to operate aerobically and supply it with proper diet and exercise, you burn fat as your primary fuel and will greatly increase the energy you have each day which is well worth it.
To go deeper on this check out the book Slow burn by Stu Mittleman. This is the man that ran 1000 miles in 11 days who Tony studied to find out how he did it.
Anaerobic which is the opposite means without oxygen and this refers to exercises like sprints and lifting weights for short bursts of power. When your body is operating from here it is burning glycogen and carbohydrates as fuel.
This has benefits too like burning calories in less time, building strength and muscle mass and increasing testosterone for men. I personally enjoy this style of training more but adding aerobic is crucial to your energy levels.
Follow these guidelines for aerobic exercise:
• Build your base with 20 minutes of quality exercise 3-5 times per week (walk, run, swim, bike, take an aerobics or spinning class, ski, snowboard, etc.) This will also help lower your set point. Then you can increase the time to up to 60 minutes if you like.
• Understand your ideal aerobic training heart rate: 180 minus your age
• Create a training plan: Once you have a base established, craft a regimen that will take your health to the next level.
• Make it fun: Add elements to your routine (music, friends, a change of environment, a compelling race, etc.) to motivate you to follow through.
GIFT 6: THE POWER OF MAXIMUM NOURISHMENT
For many people, the purpose of food is to make us feel good. Our daily goal is to consume the foods that will help serve our body. To achieve maximum nourishment, follow these guidelines:
Adhere to the five rules of healthy eating
- Drink water before or after your meals, not during
- Properly combine your foods (eat fruit only on an empty stomach; do not eat carbs and proteins together; eat green vegetables/salad with proteins or with carbs; do not combine fats with proteins)
- Eat in a relaxed state without distractions which makes it more enjoyable too
- Eat comfortable amounts of food (eat less so you can live long to eat more!)
- Eat organic (foods free of pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones)
And, follow these three principles:
- Create the Base: Follow a daily regimen with the 7 Vital Nutrients (water, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, protein and fat) for a foundation of health.
- Challenge and Grow: Complete a periodic cleanse of your internal organs and body
- Celebrate and Reward: Supplement for specific conditions and maximize your results!
GIFT 7: STRUCTURAL ALIGNMENT AND MAXIMUM STRENGTH
The human body was designed for motion. Yet few of us actually use the full range of movement.
Structural alignment and maximum strength is designed to take charge of the motion-powered musculoskeletal system: one of the primary foundations and framework for human health and the systems that support it.
This includes correcting your posture which has benefits like increasing your self-confidence, improving circulation, reduced back pain and higher energy levels. I remember doing some exercises for this at Tony’s Seminar and I felt completely different afterwards.
1) Move! Avoid living in a box: Go to the gym, do yoga, stretch, see a chiropractor and move as many muscles in your body as you can daily!
2) Implement an effective regimen of stretches and exercises that are balanced through bilateral symmetry and working opposing muscle groups. I’ve had a personalised program for this with a company called Egoscue which I highly recommend.
GIFT 8: THE POWER OF A DIRECTED MIND AND HEART
For thousands of years, alternative forms of medicine have focused on a natural, internal ability of the body to raise its resistance, fight disease and create health.
One of the most potent biological mechanisms that promote this type of health and healing is found directly in the mind.
Utilized and directed effectively, our thoughts, emotions and mindset can be one of the most potent allies toward mitigating disease and manifesting energy and vitality.
Make a concerted effort to practice these principles:
• Stand guard at the door of your mind: Condition empowering emotions such as gratitude, courage, faith, determination, compassion and love. Break your pattern and avoid emotions that create stress.
• Utilize the healing power of the heart: Three times a day stop what you are doing and shift your focus (mind, breath, emotion) to the area around your heart.
• Flood yourself with positive memories and future visions 10 minutes a day
• Ask yourself empowering questions like how can it get better than this? or what successes have I had this week?
Let’s move on to the 4 poisons we need to eliminate or reduce to live our best life.
POISON 1: Eliminate or Reduce Processed Fats
The major kinds of fats in the foods we eat are saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and trans fatty acids. On average, Americans consume 35-40% of our total calories in fat. This can cause poor circulation (leading to high blood pressure), poor elimination, excess congestion and toxicity in the body. In addition, the body is not able to perform the functions that unprocessed good fats like Omega 3 and 6 provide.
This is why it is critical to:
• Eliminate or dramatically reduce your consumption of processed fats, trans fats and hydrogenated fats
• Keep your total daily fat intake below 25% (i.e., fewer than 25% of the calories you ingest should be fat, ideally less)
POISON 2: Eliminate or Reduce Animal Flesh
There are many studies that have shown a direct relationship between an excessively animal-based diet and such chronic illnesses as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. These days a lot of it is pumped with hormones and chemicals making it even more unhealthy.
• Eliminate or dramatically reduce your consumption of animal flesh
• Total protein intake should be 5-6% per day and should come from plant-based sources, which are more efficient and have more antioxidants, fibre and minerals.
If after the 10-Day Challenge you decide you still must consume animal flesh, follow the rules: eat it once a day, combine it with green vegetables/salad and choose a source that is free range, kosher, antibiotic free and organic.
POISON 3: Eliminate or Reduce Dairy Products
Recent studies on the effects of dairy products have shown that dairy makes a greater contribution to osteoporosis, kidney problems, certain forms of cancers.
For example in countries like Africa and Asia with the lowest dairy consumption also have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.
In one of the most prominent and comprehensive nutritional studies to date, The China Study, lead researcher Dr. T. Colin Campbell found that cancer was consistently promoted by casein, which makes up 87% of cow’s milk protein.
Dairy is also one of the hardest foods to process and highly acidic. 70 percent of people are lactose intolerant and don’t even have the correct enzyme to digest it which makes it even more obvious that its something we shouldn’t be consuming.
Here’s your protocol:
• Eliminate or dramatically reduce your consumption of dairy products for me yoghurt was the last thing I cut out. I feel so much less bloated, more energetic and have clearer skin since doing it.
• Daily calcium intake should be 400 milligrams per day and should come from plant-based sources that are calcium-rich like spinach, kale and broccoli.
• Try other alternatives such as rice milk, coconut milk, or almond milk.
POISON 4: Eliminate or Reduce Acid Addictions
These are the main acid addictions caffeine, sugar, whites, vinegar, alcohol, nicotine and drugs that damage our bodies.
They crash our energy, kill brain cells and make us more susceptible to disease and health problems.
It’s taken me a while to get here where I’ve eliminated these for the most part. I still get cravings for sugar from time to time but I also believe in treating yourself just don’t make it the daily norm.
To reduce and eliminate acid you need a diet consisting of live alkaline foods: dark green and yellow vegetables, soy beans, sprouted nuts, seeds, grains and essential fatty acids. This diet lowers the over-acidification of the blood and tissues with its abundance of bases and alkaline salts. So for the next ten days:
• Use your common sense! Say no to the following addictions: caffeine, sugar, whites, vinegar, alcohol, nicotine and drugs. Associate yourself to the consequences and break your pattern.
• Alkalize! When you are consuming at least 70-80% alkaline, life-giving foods, your body will naturally decrease its desire for these addictions. A green-based supplement such as Super Greens Powder by Vegolife will also help decrease this desire.
Making these changes isn’t easy but so worth it. I would say do some research then put it into practice and really see it as a gift for you and everyone around you. You can’t put a price on feeling more joy and energy each day. Just imagine the possibilities that could come from that.