I never used to drink much water. I preferred a coke or some concentrated juice. Now it’s pretty much my one and only drink with the occasional smoothie from time to time. What changed? I guess when I started to take exercise seriously. The only drink there is at the gym to quench your thirst is water. I realised how refreshing water actually was and I naturally started enjoying drinking it. For me it was one of those habits that I didn’t really need to exert much willpower for.
I don’t think people drink enough water. I believe this causes problems for people during their day and later on in life. A lot of problems can be avoided just by changing your diet. And the most simple way of all? Drink more water. Let me ask you a question how much water do you drink? Be honest with yourself. Do you drink enough? Or could you drink more. Maybe you don’t drink any water at all. Your diet may be filled with concentrated juices or fizzy drinks which in the long run are terrible for your health and concentration.
Your brain is 90% water and your body is about 70%, the majority of every cell in your body is composed of water. Therefore, you need water to function properly.
The European Food Safety Authority recommends that women should drink about 2.0 litres of fluid and men should drink about 2.5 litres of fluid per day. However I personally drink about double that and it depends on a variety of factors, including size, the temperature and how active you are.
Here are some well known and not so well known benefits of drinking water:
- Makes you smarter – Since your brain is mostly water, drinking water helps increase your cognitive function. So your mind can work at its optimum levels. You’ll be more alert and have a greater ability to concentrate throughout the day.
- Promotes Weight Loss – Water has zero calories, it helps suppress your appetite so you don’t eat as much and helps your body burn stored fat.
- Fountain of Youth – Literally. One of the best ways to keep you looking young and healthy! Gets rid of wrinkles and moisturises your skin so it stays fresh.
- Less Illnesses – Want to stop getting sick as much? Drinking plenty of water helps fight against a variety of ailments including cancer and heart attacks.
- More muscle – Drinking water helps your body work harder and longer so you build more muscle mass.
- Save Money – Even bottled/filtered water is a lot cheaper than other drinks.
There is no substitute for plain water intake. Here are some tips to increase yours :
- Tell your friends that when your out you won’t be drinking fizzy drinks anymore. This will make you more likely to stick to it and people to remind you if you fall off track.
- Remove other drinks like juices and fizzy drinks from your shopping list for a while. Having them in your house will just hinder your progress.
- With every meal drink one glass of water. A simple way to increase your water intake. You can make it easier for yourself by replacing 1 drink a day with water and adding onto that as you get used to it.
- Carry a bottle of water around with you. It’s summer in the UK now (where I live) and there’s no better drink to prevent dehydration.
- Add a reminder on your phone or a note that you will see regularly. This will make sure that it stays on your mind to drink water!
- Buy a high quality water filter. With one of these you won’t even have to buy filtered water. You can make it in the comfort of your own home! Ever easier to make it a habit.